Time runs so fast, it’s been 4months now since I started internship and I am now in Paediatric department, oh I love babies! In Neonatology at the moment meaning we see newborns alone and do all assessments needed, you can call it postnatal also.
As applied to any other profession or job, there are things you learn during the period of service, I have compiled these thirteen things and it’s been helping me pull through, I hope it helps you also.
1. Know your stuffs: I said “stuffs” because there are a lot to know. In each department things are run differently, what is applicable in the previous might not be in the next, know your department; consultants, residents, Gmos, interns, students, patients.
On rounds there will be questions thrown at anyone or even you in particular, you might not be able to answer all of course but have an idea, don’t be lost in everything, find out, ask questions, read and research.
2. Open mindedness: In medical field you can never know everything because there are new inventions everyday so be willing to consider new ideas, learn new things or approach and meet new people. Also try to be understanding, listen and do not be too quick to judge.
3. Pray ahead: There are a lot you will face everyday I tell you, from little things like communicating to/examining your patients, going for rounds, patients urinating/vomiting on you to big ones of just talking to a patient and the next minute he/she is dead. You definitely need God’s grace to pull you through, before you exit your home, always commit everything in His able hands.
4. Get a thick skin: people will always talk and there is no doubt about that regardless of what you do or who you are, even people you least expected. Insults may come in diplomatic ways, juniors or seniors might cross the line, don’t let them get under your skin or make you flip to the dark side, coat yourself against words penetration and don’t let anyone steal the joy in your day.
5. Forgive easily: I don’t know if it is only me but any day I decide to be on my best behavior is when a lot of things happens just to tempt me and people decides to cross me that day, forgive them in advance before they even offend you. Let go of offences quickly and don’t keep grudges and your life will be much better, it’s for you not for them.
6. Befriend all, keep few: There are a lot of backstabbing people, they will smile when they see you, give you fake hugs but they are painting you black in front of others, beware of them. Definitely don’t gather enemies either, be amiable to everyone, just be careful and know who has really got your back, only those few you should trust.
7. Compete with yourself: If you want to be a greater version of yourself, Compete with yourself, it will make you become a better person than you were yesterday.
8. Always be on top of your game: No body likes slackers or time wasters, you know what to do already, do it. If you don’t, do not be afraid to ask so that you can start collating everything before rounds starts. Don’t let the seniors be ready and you are still confused, or you don’t have everything together, no, it’s doesn’t portray you as a good Doctor.
9. Always apologize and be respectful: whether you were right or wrong, it doesn’t matter at this point especially with a senior, don’t suck up to anyone but at the same time remember you are at the bottom of the ladder. Respect is reciprocal, whether young or old, junior or senior, patients or doctors, respect all.
10. Impairment of judgement: do not allow other’s judgment to impair yours, because they weren’t treated nicely or loved doesn’t mean you will be treated the same way. Be yourself, do your work diligently and people will automatically be your friend, loving you will be inevitable.
11. Be early: Nobody likes late comers or absentees, we all have one million reasons to come late to work or decide to sleep in for a week, be disciplined with your timing. If you are early, you will get the work done earlier and then relax afterwards.
12. Be a good team player: Work well with people, don’t always be the venom or bad omen or the lazy one no body wants to work with, rather render your help when it’s needed. You should reach the point where your colleagues can solely depend on you.
13. Forget the haters: if 80% likes you forget the remaining 20%. In a world where you can definitely not satisfy everyone, if you have gotten as much as 80% to get along with you, you have over tried! I still don’t understand why some people just pick on you unnecessarily though, no matter how hard you try it is just never enough or appreciated, don’t take them on, breath and continue to do your very best.
That’s all I have got for now!
Lot of Love from your girl
You can also check this out